Wednesday, January 18, 2017

The Oliver Bit Song, or I feel another bad spell coming on

A, you're ad horrible,
B, you're (sob) dutiful,
C, you're recruiting full itch arms,
D, you're ad doll link and
E, you're egg sight ink and
F, Europe furthering my harms.

G, you'll a god to me,
H, you're so Avonlea,
I, you're divan eye eye dough lies,
J, we're lack chalk and chill,
K, you're soak hiss a bull,
L, you're the lob lye tin my highs.

M, N, O P,
I could go on all day,
Q, R, S, T,
Half a medic lease peeking
You're "O.K!"

U maid moll icon pleat,
V, you're soap berries wheat,
W, X, Y, Z

Hits Fonda wonder shrew
Duh half abet witch ewe
Too tall ewe wet chew me tomb he.

If you made it this far, you are a truly loyal reader of this blog, having gone the second mile with moi. Accordingly, you deserve to hear the original version from 1948 sung by Perry Como and the Fontaine Sisters and see some beautifully crafted letters at the same time (2:24).

Here they are in the early 1950s on Perry's television show:


I have always thought the sister on the right looks like both Kathryn Murray (the ballroom dancer and Arthur Murray's wife) and Kitty Carlisle (panelist on the TV game show To Tell the Truth and wife of playwright and theater director Moss Hart). Better than mere doppelgängers. Dreiergängers!.






Well, that's enough wandering down memory lane for one post, I think.

I'm sure you agree.

3 comments:

  1. I love your bad spells. I have to go through each one carefully so I miss none of the nuances. Do I have a problem? I also had a good time seeing the pictures of all those stars from my youth. I remember seeing Perry Como perform the song on his show but I can't remember if the Fontaine Sisters were with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma. I'm glad you enjoyed this post. The younger readers probably never heard of any of these people with the possible exception of Perry Como.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahahaha, you're wasted on here, you should be . . . somewhere with a larger audience! Love the -A you're' song there, Spatz used to sing that a lot whenever I was really miffed at him. Singing doesn't help him anymore though *falls about*

    ReplyDelete

<b>Always true to you, darlin’, in my fashion</b>

We are bombarded daily by abbreviations in everyday life, abbreviations that are never explained, only assumed to be understood by everyone...